Vallejo, CA asked in Elder Law for California

Q: Is there legal recourse to see, visit, and speak with an aging parent (87yr) who is being isolated by one family member?

My sister removed mother from senior living without notification, blocked my number, won’t let my mother see me, speak to me. I believe she is isolating her and then leaving her alone just to cash her social security. She claims COVID-19, but this started before and my mother has been seen in different locations with my sister and her friends. My mother is not 100% capable and she asks her to repeat certain things over the phone. For example I have a voicemail where my mom said “stop calling..what else?” And then in the background my sister is telling her what else to say. So my mother then repeats “wanting to be left alone” while my sister keeps telling her what to say. I am not even allowed to see her social distance through a window as my sister won’t permit her to come near the window. Help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First, this is not really Family Law, it is Conservatorship/ Elder abuse law, and you need to repost so those attorneys get an email showing this question. IMO you need to file for a Conservatorship of your mom. You can search for an attorney that deals in Conservatorship/Guardianship on this website, or elsewhere. Best of luck to you this is a stressful situation.

Justia Disclaimers below, Incorporated herein.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.