Albany, OR asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Oregon

Q: While a patient at a med facility, our child was assaulted by other patient, then refused treatment. Is facility liable?

Our child was checked into a residential program and threatened with violence by other patients almost immediately.

She reported it to me; I informed staff who said they were aware (but hadn't told me).

I informed manager and another staff member after further reports of safety concerns made by my child.

Within that week she was assaulted, punched and kicked by an older patient.

I called police and requested discharge for safety reasons.

The facility then refused to accept the assault victim back into prior-given levels of care (day treatment, online) with no clinical rationale offered.

They denied any negligence on the part of staff for not keeping bullies away from our child after repeated warnings, which led to one of them being able to assault our child.

Now she no longer has access to the care she needed, because she was a victim of a crime. This seems highly unethical and we would like to sue the facility, but do not have funds raised yet for legal fees.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for the terrifying ordeal experienced by your daughter. This is something an Oregon attorney could advise best on, but you await a response for three weeks. You indicate not having funds for legal fees. What you describe does not appear to be a case (if validated) that an attorney would charge you legal fees up front for. Cases of this type tend to be handled on a contingency basis. This means that if your daughter was to prevail in a trial or settlement, any attorney fees would typically be a percentage agreed upon. Attorneys who handle such cases also tend to offer free initial consults. Reach out to Oregon attorneys and ask for a free consultation and ask about a contingency-based handling of the matter - that's between you and the attorneys you contact.

I'm fairly confident attorneys would offer you a free initial consult. Move quickly. Evidence in the form of surveillance tends to be fleeting in nature and data that captures the event can easily be re-written over. I hope your daughter was not badly injured, but a medical evaluation would see to it that she is okay, and of secondary importance, it would substantiate her account of the attack.

In summary, do not hesitate based on not having funds to pay an attorney fee up front - that could be a non-issue if an attorney accepts the case on a contingency basis.

Good luck to your daughter in healing from this.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.