Asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How can I get my name off a deed to a house that I do not own and the owner (my mom) is being sued?

my mom has a lawsuit against the insurance company for refusing to fix the stucco that is falling off due to water damage. She doesn't have the funds to fix it on her own and the hoa is aware of the situation but still filed a lawsuit against her and me for not maintaining the housing. The only thing my name is on is the deed. What do I do? I don't even live at this house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Removing your name from the deed will not remove you from the lawsuit. Financial hardship is not a defense to a lawsuit by an HOA for failure to maintain the property. The court is not going to expect the HOA to wait until your mother’s lawsuit with the insurance company is completed. She could win or lose that case. The court will likely issue an injunction ordering you and your mother to fix the house. If the court order is violated it could lead to the court holding you both in contempt and jailed.

You should consult with an attorney immediately. This matter is very serious.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.