Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Michigan

Q: I have a couple of questions. My mother inlaw is trying to get us evicted from our resident. The house is in a trust for

my husband his sister and his mother and aunt. She has stated that she has sold this property with out another signature on it and has filed a eviction notice well the gentle man that she sold it to is evicting us. We also have signed paperwork from his mother stating that we have all rights to this house. What can we do? We have court on 08/30/20

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It depends on what the trust document says about the house. Does it specifically say that the house is not to be sold? Ordinarily, your mother-in-law would be the trustee - and if she is the sole trustee, she would have the right to sell the house, and the new owner would be allowed to evict you. What your husband and the other beneficiaries have, perhaps, is the right to the proceeds of the sale, but not to the house itself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.