Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for Illinois

Q: I keyed my ex boyfriends car and he is now trying to sue me

I found out my bf was cheating on me and out of rage I keyed his car. He asked for $400 to repair damages, and agreed that if I paid him immediately he would not pursue legal charges. I gave him the money and went our separate ways. He is now harassing me to get back together and I declined. he is now trying to take me to court to get more money out of me claiming i didn’t give him enough. am I looking at jail time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Civil matters do not carry an jail time but if he reports this matter to the police, you are looking at a Misdemeanor offense at the very least. Also, you should never admit to an offense online. If possible, you should figure out a way to remove this post.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.