Valparaiso, IN asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana

Q: Can my husband sue for breach of contract and possible discrimination?

Last year my husband signed a 2 year painting contract with a possible 2 more years of work with a retirement facility. According to my husband in the contract it states if they choose to let him go they need to give him 3 months notice. As of now we can't find the contract, but he believes it's in his storage office on the premises. His sister who he hired as an independent contractor talked with the manager, whom she's friends with outside of the business, regarding bids and worked on 2 apartments including hiring someone without speaking to my husband when he was on lockdown at work release because of covid. He has a criminal background. They made the checks out to his company, but she got all the money for them. The facility only requires insurance and to be a licensed business. They never asked about criminal background. We heard they have hired other painters and think she told them about his background. Can he sue the facility for breach of contract?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Anyone can bring a lawsuit. But it would be useful to have the contract beforehand. A reputable attorney would want to see the contract to determine if there was a breach, and to also make certain there weren't any arbitration clauses that precluded a traditional lawsuit through the courthouse. One option could be to arrange a brief consult with an attorney, either based on the facts of your description here, but preferably with the benefit of the contract if it materializes. Having the contract would make for a more meaningful consult, but even without it, an attorney could probably outline options for obtaining a copy. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.