Sacramento, CA asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: Can I do a simplified probate procedure in NJ myself or do I need a lawyer?

I am 80+ yr old widow with residence in NJ. My husband passed away recently without a will. All his assets passed to me without probate except for an old car. The car was titled in his name only. I need to transfer title of the car to myself so I can sell it. I have heard there is a simplified probate procedure in NJ. Can I do this procedure without a lawyer? If so, how? I am also living out of state currently so anything I do has to be done remotely online or by postal mail.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The real question would be how much is the car worth. If it is under 20K you are in luck see NJSA 3B:10-3. which discusses when a spouse or domestic partner is entitled to assets without administration. For your second question, yes a lot of this can be done remotely now due to Covid 19. Saying that I must admit it has gotten a little bit more confusing for most people so if you have the money I would suggest hiring a lawyer to make sure everything is done right.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.