Dorchester Center, MA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: What can i do to help my boyfriend after my daughter made false assault and battery charges on her stepfather?

She said that he punched and kneed her in the face for not cleaning the room i was there the whole time but i was never really question on by dcf not the police she had no injuries consistent with that hes been in her life for a long time we all live together.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph B. Simons
Joseph B. Simons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The best thing you can do for your boyfriend is to make sure he has an excellent criminal defense attorney. Domestic violence charges - probably "assault and battery on a family or household member" - are prosecuted quite harshly in Massachusetts. It sounds like you will make a good witness since you were present for the (lack of) incident. One thing to avoid is pressuring your daughter to change her story; that could lead to intimidation of a witness charges. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.