Plymouth, IL asked in Estate Planning for Illinois

Q: I live in Illinois, Im turning 18 in 5 days, when i turn 18 im wanting to go live with my boyfriend in Pennsylvania.

Im going to drive to him, but my car is in my parents name and my phone also that they gave me. if i go to him can they take my stuff from me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles E. Hutchinson
Charles E. Hutchinson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wilmette, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The car and the phone belong to your parents because they are titled under their name. Yes, your parents have total control over their use. These items were not "gifts" but things which your parents own and let you use. If you do take the car and phone and refuse to return them if asked, you could be charged with theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.