Kennesaw, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Is it possible to do an adverse take over on a property that my mother has paid taxes on for years.

^ kids are still a living but no one agrees to probate a will so she has been living there and paying taxes and taking care of the place since her mother died. She has always lived at the property and took care of her mother since the 70's

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Not sure of your question. Wills mean nothing unless Probated. It is impossible for one tenant in common to adversely possess against the other tenants in common. But paying taxes exclusively gives her a right to reimbursement. You may wish to file a Partition Action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.