Pine Bush, NY asked in Divorce, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for New York

Q: Hello! I was wondering how I could terminate my biological parents rights? He is abusive and I'm looking for a way out.

I have 2 siblings whom dont get the same treatment that I do and both of my parents are in law enforcement, I'm not gonna specify what they do to me because I dont wanna type it but lets just say it takes up my entire day and leaves me with no time for school work. My mom is abused as well but she doesnt have the money for divorce. I have a friend whom is trying to help me but I am only 15 (3 months to 16) and I dont wanna run away because I wanna join the army and Im afraid it'll mess with my permanent record.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unfortunately, the only way to terminate parental rights is for the Department of Social Services to file neglect petitions against your parents. Once you are 18 and self supporting, you no longer have to have contact with your parents if you don't want. At this time you have to either stick it out or make a report to the child abuse hotline.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.