Asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: What does it mean when a judge terminates my probation,and turns the fees I still owe to a civil judgment

I was convicted in New Hanover county,but live in Wake county,so I reported to probation in wake county.i completed everything in the court’s order except pay the money,so my probation officer violated me and took me back to court today to see if the judge would throw out the fees. He dismissed the supervision fees,but because I was convicted in another county he terminated my probation and put the rest of the money I owe to a civil judgment. What does that mean and what do I have to do. And will this stop me from getting my license back . I have a hearing at DMV this November to see if my license will be Reinstated early. I lost him for four years and this November will be two years since I was convicted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: When a judge enters in money you owe to the court as a civil judgment against you, it basically means that you now owe the state that money. How it is usually paid back is either by you going to the courthouse and paying it directly, or if the state ever owes you money (e.g., a state tax refund, or if you win the NC Education Lottery, etc.), they'll take the money you owe them first before you get any of the money they owe to you. It is a judgment, so it is likely to affect your credit rating. What it won't do is prevent you from getting reinstated with DMV.

If you were convicted of a DWI, make sure that you've gotten a DWI assessment from a NC DMV-authorized provider, completed the recommended treatment, ensured that the provider has sent the appropriate confirmation form (E-508) to DMV, and that you've complied with all other requirements that DMV may have requested of you; then you can pay DMV the $130 reinstatement fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.