Kennesaw, GA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Georgia

Q: Can I sue for significant loss of bowel and bladder functions if I was never told about a bowel obstruction that rupture

During multiple attempts to get help for abdominal pain at an emergency room I underwent several emergency surgeries because of an infection in my abdomen at one point the same doctor said he reviewed all of my previous visits and told me I had a gynecological problems that would result in me having to have a complete hysterectomy shortly thereafter my bowels ruptured and leaked inside my abdominal cavity and I was turned away from the hospital and told to make an appointment in that doctor's office where I demanded to be admitted to the hospital because I'd already been in pain for several days and was already refused treatment in lieu of an appointment in his office this doctor has already this Dr has settled a malpractice case once before and the case against him was dismissed before that I've tried to call every doctor in my area but no one was willing to take a look at my records I also have mental health issues as a result of the psychological trauma of coping with a colostomy

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. I'm not clear as to whether you have been trying to have local doctors look at your records for diagnostic and treatment purposes, or for evaluation of a potential med mal case. That's because you mention it shortly after mentioning dismissal of an earlier malpractice case. If your consults with doctors are for legal case evaluation purposes, that's something your attorney would take care of if they identified the basis for a possible case.

In short, you can reach out to Georgia med mal attorneys to discuss further. Most attorneys who practice in this area offer free initial consults. If an attorney identified the basis for a case, they would request a copy of your medical file and do what it is that you have been doing in trying to have doctors review the file. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.