Asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: I'm 16 and live in Puerto Rico can I leave without consent?

I'm currently living under to much stress and pressure. With parents that don't try to understand how I feel or change. They can be very toxic and it affects me mentally. Can I leave without consent and stay with friends?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Un Puerto Rico the law states that a person is an under aged minor until the age of twenty-one. Thus being an under aged minor, they are under the custody of an adult. Thus you cannot leave without authorization from your parents or your custodial adult.

What you can do is attempt to speak with your parents about the situatión and perhaps come to done agreement on this matter such as a change of atmosphere like living with other family members or family friends for extended time.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.