Macomb, IL asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: My pub def has not answered any call or message for six weeks. Can I request a new one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Unless you have an urgent situation or a hearing in the near future, you should not be alarmed. Especially in the current pandemic, public defenders are swamped with cases (fewer people are working) and also having to deal with the same crisis management as everyone else in the court system. You can always ask the judge for a different public defender, but changing attorneys will most likely delay things even further, as your new public defender would have to get up to speed on your case. Rather than a message or phone call, a letter to your public defender might be a good option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.