Amelia, OH asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: Can Unwed couple in Ohio work out child support outside of court.

Is it possible for an Unwed mother and father (name not on birth certificate) to work a deal outside of court. We have after research we have agreed on an amount to give and that the father will not be in contact with the child. Is there any legal issues with this? I won’t be filing for government assistance or anything. And or can the child be adopted later on without fathers name (he’s okay with being outta life and child being adopted).

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The father is taking a big risk here. If you turn around and petition for child support, your out of court arrangements may or may not be honored by the child support enforcement agency and courts. It's safer for everyone involved to do it officially. If he wants to provide additional support over what will be ordered (which is pretty low) he certainly can. He would need to consent to the adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.