Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Employment Law for Florida

Q: If I don't like the outcome of the Labor Board, can I take my old employer to court instead?

I am owed $5000 from my old employer. I went to the Labor Board and since I didn't work over 40 hours I only can get 7.25 minimum wage which means my old employer would only owe about $1500. He was supposed to pay by August 7th, but still hasn't. I am unhappy with the amount I am getting back and the fact that they are not enforcing him to pay what he owes. I would like to know if it is worth getting a lawyer to help me fight this case, or if it will end up costing me more.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay P. Lechner
Jay P. Lechner
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes. If by "Labor Board" you mean the U.S. Department of Labor, they only have jurisdiction to enforce the federal overtime and minimum wage laws. The state minimum wage in Florida is $8.56 per hour. You could pursue a civil action for the higher state minimum wage amount plus potential liquidated damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.