Wilsonville, OR asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: I am under adjust status currently with my pending Family-Based Application. My husband is quite not treating me right.

Since we got married on 2018, he is different when it comes to money. Not only that, but also with respect to me. We have a joint account and he gets all my salary. All of his salary only goes to his debt (which is still not fully paid till now). And now he got laid from his work since April 27 and he still has not worked till now. His unemployment is being spent only to his perks eg. coffee, optavia, etc. I am the one paying all of our bills, and payments at home and all. He doesnt help very much at home. He only cares for what he wants. And now, my only request is to not increase the speed of network connection at home, and he started looking for divorce application last night. He is not really nice to me, which I have my 2 workmates witnessed it. I found out that as a person without status yet in America you can undergo abuse, etc. and all that. He has raise his hands on me once, and slam my laptop and phone several times now. And my family wants me now to get help. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your question isn't clear from the facts you presented. There is no way you can force your husband to contribute in a more meaningful way to the household. You could seek a divorce, and a lawyer can help you do that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.