Lancaster, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: I have high risk Leukemia. How can I ensure that my kids stay w/ my partner if I pass? I have full legal/physical.

Their father has felonies, drug addiction, multiple prison sentences, has not been a part of their lives in over 5yrs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am sorry that your are in this predicament. Unfortunately, your children’s other parent would be first in line to get custody. Your should consult with attorneys about adoption and estate planning. If partner would consider adopting the children then the biological father would be out of the picture. In the meanwhile, consult with an estate planning attorney who can help you prepare a plan that would present your wishes regarding a guardianship for your children in case of your death.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.