Yuba City, CA asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: I’m taking care of a 14 year old and her parents don’t know who she’s staying with. What should I do?

She says her father kicked her out of the house but I think she ran away. She says her father is physically and verbally abusive and doesn’t feed her. She says this is the third time he kicks her out of the house. Her father is looking for her and I don’t know what to do. How long is she able to stay with me? Will I get in trouble?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You could get into trouble since you are not the guardian of this child. If the parents are verbally or physically abusing the child, she should report it to the police, but this may lead to juvenile detention. She could file a petition to be declared an emancipated minor. She should, at least, phone parents to let them know she is ok and not buried in a shallow grave somewhere, and set up a time for regular phone calls preferably from a public phone. Keep the calls short. Police report is the safest bet for you. You have put yourself in the middle of a dangerous situation.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.