Louisville, KY asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Kentucky

Q: 17yo stepdaughter ran away. CPS is involved due to false allegations-but at this point is still only under investigation

She turns 18 in March. Can husband emancipate her? Will this stop the CPS investigation? A judge sent her with her grandma to stay until investigation is complete but the judge never submitted any orders stating this. Husband is still responsible for his daughter. Grandma can't control her. She's 17, runs around with a 23yo man, has been running back and forth between Northern Indiana and Kentucky since May 2020. What are husband's options? CPS wants to try to put "lack of supervision" on us due to false allegations of sexual abuse. Only thing CPS has is a forensic interview with 17 yo stepdaughter that was done 3 weeks after she turned herself in to the police. We've been investigated 6 previous times by CPS since 2016 all of which were unsubstantiated. CPS has been involved since May 2 but never made contact with us until June 24 when they came to interview us and no contact again until August 28. No papers have been filed to remove her from our care but NOW they want to substantiate

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Do not agree to the substantiation. Both parents need lawsuits. Lawyer will be able to assist in emancipation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.