Eustis, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Can I elect to go to jail if I refuse to pay a court-ordered amount to my ex-spouse

I filed for divorce after my wife left me for another man. I am a retired us veteran who spent two years in the Veterans I will pay child support, that is not the issue, but if I refuse to pay this amount can I eat elect to go to jail instead and then no longer be financially responsible for that sum of money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If a person willfully violates a court order then the judge can hold the defendant in contempt of court and said person can be subject to arrest and incarceration. However if the order can not be complied with due to a change in circumstances then application to the court can be made to modify the existing order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.