Moorestown, NJ asked in Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: Can I file for emergency custody? Myex denies Covid exists and has exposed my son to public places. My son has type1

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The state of NJ began its lock down in or about the 2nd week of March ( or about 5 1/2 months ago). In the later part of March / early April, there were many people who sought legal advice / filed emergency applications with the court as a result of their former partners actions regarding parenting time. Some people claimed that their former partners were preventing them from seeing their children and that their actions were improper and others were filing applications claiming that their former partners were engaged in behavior on a social level that exposed the children to danger of the virus and therefore asked the court to modify the existing parenting time plan. In each of those settings, the court started off asking why that parent thought that her / his home was safe but that the other parents home was not safe and what proof did that parent have to support the conclusion that the other parent's home was a danger ( other than simply conjecture). The court also started off with the view that both parents love their child and neither would intentionally endanger their child and therefore the person filing the application had the burden to prove the danger in the other party’s home.

You are now suggesting for the 1st time that your ex's home setting is a danger - what was taking place in his home setting for the past 5 months and what has changed now? The worst answer to that question would be nothing and that you have been concerned all along but didnt do anything earlier.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.