Grand Rapids, MI asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: My husband is filing for a divorce and It is not my decision. what do I do?

I do not want this divorce. However, I am being left with no choice of my own. We have no children together. He is wanting me to leave. I am afraid that he tries to get me for abandonment when he is the one abandoning out marriage. If I stay, he will be vindictive and try to treat me with such disrespect and hatefulness to the point where I cannot stand it. He has done this before. He is doing it now. I have no family here so I have no where to go besides to leave the state and stay with my parents In Louisiana. My husband is very malicious and knows no limits to making sure he hurts me in any way ( not physical). I do not have the funds to hire lawyers the way he does and he knows this. He preys on my weaknesses and codependency.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Afsana Chowdhury
Afsana Chowdhury
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You cannot prevent someone from getting a divorce if they have legal grounds. If there is no fault, a person can file on the basis of separation. At the same time, someone can't force you out of your own home. If he makes the marital state intolerable such that you must leave, you should discuss your options, with an attorney before moving out to see if you may be able to use constructive desertion as a defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.