San Dimas, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: How can i get my record fixed. I only have one felony for forgery and i did 8 months state time, 13 years ago.

My daughter had dcfs take my grandkids away and im trying to get them back, but because of my background they use as an excuse.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should consult with a post-conviction criminal attorney who can help. Depending on your particular set of facts, you could seek a Penal Code section 17 motion to reduce your felony to a misdemeanor, if the criminal statue is a "wobbler," or you could ask for a certificate of rehabilitation if you meet all the criteria. There are other potential avenues for relief, but find a good attorney to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.