Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I collect my inheritance when it’s been deposited into court waiting to be collected? I live in the states

My grandmother estate was finally completed and told that Judge put my portion of the inheritance Into court system till I collect. I live in the states and it’s a pandemic so I can’t fly to P.R. to collect inheritance and I do not have money for a lawyer plus I don’t even know how I would get money from the courts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You need to hire an attorney, particularly since you don’t know the intricacies of our court system and you are from out of state. Besides, if you will be getting some moneys then it will be wise to

use a portion of it to pay for legal services. After all, it’s not that straightforward as you might think since there are several steps needed to successfully perform your transaction. Don’t let the passing of time affect your right to receive your asserts due to inactivity on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.