Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My daughter will be 19 and lives in PR. I'm non-custodial parent. She wants to live with me in FL. Is she an adult now?

Do I need to file a court authorization request?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. In Puerto Rico she is still an underaged minor for many legal situations, custody being one of them. The best scenario is for all three to talj it over and then decide. The daughter can petitión the Court for emancipation or intervention on certain family matters such as with which parent she wants to live with but needs to convince the Court that the change is in her benefit.. You as the biológical Father do have every right to request her custody.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.