Billings, MT asked in Civil Rights for Idaho

Q: My husband is in the Bingham County Jail in Blackfoot Idaho he is an illegal immigrant he has been served with papers

with a notice of service of interrogatories and request for production and request for admissions for his money in the amount of $20,100 he is unable to read English and send me the papers but by the time I got it the 30 days have been passed can we appeal this decision and how? Is it unfair Justice for them to send him court documents in English when he is unable to read it? I have requested from his public defender 2 have his paperwork translated to Spanish and she said she was unable to is that legal and if so how is he able to properly give his side of the story without knowing what is being said against him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Yes, you can call the person whose name is on the notice you received. Ask them for additional time. They should grant you additional time to fill out the Interrogatories to him. They will typically request a "fee" of a percentage or a dollar amount in order to allow your husband to keep the money he brought illegally into the country.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.