Decatur, AL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: I just had a baby. I've never been married to the father, and broke up in Feb. He hasn't been involved in pregnancy.

He has repeatedly disrespected my wishes as far as communications have gone during my pregnancy. I asked for texting only, strictly about the baby and in the 5 times he has contacted me in 9 months, it has always been about US and NEVER asking about the child. He trespassed onto my property after breaking up (garage and gate). I was pregnant at the time. He has never asked about gender of the baby, name, due date, health complications, etc. I told him I didn't want any help from him while pregnant for my mental and emotional health (he's manipulative sexually and mentally and I had a high risk pregnancy). He has a history of domestic violence and driving drunk with a child in the car. I want to block all contact from him, I told him to download the talking parents app, but never heard from him again. I've tried to keep communication open through pregnancy but I'm done trying. Are there any legal repercussions to changing my number and cutting off contact? He's not on BC.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: In Alabama, a child born to an unwed mother is solely hers. She has full and complete custody. The father has no rights, if and until he is adjudicated the father in court. If he wants any rights he will have to file something. But right now, he has no rights and you can do just about anything you want. But if he does file something, I’d talk to a lawyer immediately. Good luck!

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.