Cleveland, OH asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: My boyfriend got a ticket for driving on a suspended back in November 2018 and he just got convicted for it on 8/02/2020

He never received any notice he was being convicted or that a court date had been set, not even back in 2018, and the ticket was not filed until 1/21/2020...can they wait 2 years to file a ticket? Is there any way to fight this; especially since we had no idea he even had a court date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, your boyfriend needs to file a Motion to Rehear the case. He has 60 days to file this motion from the date of conviction. The appeal period is only ten days, so this is his only option.

Contact my office and we may discuss the facts related to the filing of the case. He may have grounds for dismissal of the case for police misconduct. 703-352-9044.

Shemeka C Hankins agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.