Springfield, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: What am I legally allowed to do with my ex boyfriends belongings that are still in my home? There is a protection order

I had a boyfriend living with me for months. No rental agreement contract, he did not give rent money nor was asked to. He began mentally & physically abusing me in the fall of 2019. In Dec. 2019, I could not take any more, so I called the cops after he punched me multiple times in my face & head. The cops arrived promptly & I kept asking them to get him out of my house for good. They told me that since he’s been living with me for months, that it is now also his residence & is his right to stay. Then the cops separated us to get each of our stories. Turned out my ex told them that I began the assault, so they asked me to either leave my own home and stay with a friend for the night or go with them & stay the night in the jail! Rather than continue to argue my side with the police, I went to my brothers home. I went back to my house the next afternoon, but my ex would not leave because of what the cops said. A few more months went by, a few more beatings. I was able to record and show

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to review the situation and advise you. The attorney could make arrangements with your ex to collect his things. Or the attorney can file an eviction action. After the court grants the eviction, you could then move all his things out to the street.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.