Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Attempting to modify child support order. Ex is remarried; does the new spouses' income affect the income calculation?

Together, they make a substantial income compared to pre-remarriage. When I use the online calculator, am I still to only user the ex's income only, or am I to find out what they make as a household income combined, and use that figure?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Parties income alone is what is generally used, not household income. However, there is something called the self support reserve that is discretionary which could reduce child support due to low funds. The judge can choose not to apply the self support reserve if a party has additional resources (such as the income of a new spouse) and the result would be inequitable.

You could also potentially have the other party attributed a higher earning potential if you can show that they voluntarily stopped working or took a lower paying job without a valid reason, or are otherwise not reaching their full earnings potential (like someone with a Ph.D. working at McDonalds)

There are a number of valid arguments to have a higher income attributed to the other side of a child support case and can be very detail specific. You should certainly seek advice of counsel regarding this issue which could affect how much child support would be in your case for potentially years to come. Most family attorneys provide a free initial consultation.

Mike Branum and Jay Hall agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.