Medford, OR asked in DUI / DWI for Oregon

Q: Going to court today with my 16year old daughter for her first dui charge, does she pled guilty or not guilty?

She has not been in any trouble before and had she not been in the situation she was in she would never of gotten in the car!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jace D. Cook
Jace D. Cook
  • Lake Oswego, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First things first, get a defense attorney for her. A first appearance in Oregon for a case like this is usually the arraignment. At the arraignment, an Oregon attorney would usually reserve their clients' rights by making specific statements to the judge on the record and ask for future dates of appearance in the case. In many cases, defendant's will enter a not guilty plea and can change their plea at a later point in time if they decide to. In some cases, defendants will get an early resolution offer for entering a guilty plea and they might accept that. In other instances, no plea is entered, new dates are requested and rights are reserved. It is often that attorneys and defendants will want to order and review the discovery in a case before they would decide whether to enter a guilty plea. Alas, to answer your question square on the nose enters the area of legal advice, and that's not something our firm can hand out online to folks that are not clients. Seek immediate assistance by hiring a highly rated criminal defense attorney.

NOTE: This is not legal advice and laws and procedures vary from state to state. Contact a lawyer in the state and county in which the charge was filed to obtain legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.