Springfield, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: So, even though there is an existing protection order against my ex boyfriend, I still need to file for an eviction?

The home is my home that I own and have lived in alone for 15 years. My ex boyfriend lived with me for 2019 and a few months into 2020. By 2020 we were no longer involved with one another, but he wouldn’t leave my house. He became more abusive and erratic, up all hours of the night never sleeping, blasting his stereo causing noise disturbances, and even started verbally assaulting the neighbors! Over this period of time I recorded his behavior for “evidence”. One night I came home from work to finally find out that he’d been using drugs. So, this time I drove to the police department and let them watch and listen to everything I’ve recorded and told them that I wanted him out of my house. They followed me to my home, went in, arrested him, took his drugs. He spent 22 days in jail and the judge ordered him to stay away from me, any and all of my family members, and property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If there is a valid protection order to stay away, you don't need an eviction. But if you want to get any of his things out of the house, and he doesn't arrange for someone to pick them up, then you need an eviction to be able to get them out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.