Howell, NJ asked in Car Accidents and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: I was parked in parking space at 7-11 store Jackson NJ. while I was in store the vehicle next to me was backing up

The kid didn't have their door closed & it buckled my rear passenger door and did damage to the handle. She then pulled forward so the kid could close the door- and was continuing to back out. I then came out of the store and saw the damage. The driver replied to me" there is nothing you can do about it- its not a movable offense". I told them not to move & i called the police. However Jackson PD stated we would have to work it out between our self's. it wasn't re-portable and he did not do a motor vehicle report. Is that true or can i request one be done??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If the police refuse to file a report at the scene you can go to the station and tell them you want to file an accident report and they should give you a form.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.