New York, NY asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: My ex-wife's partner is mistreating my children but not enough to involve CPS.

I have asked my ex-wife to discuss with her partner and I but she is refusing to communicate with me.

My sons (12 and 14) have reported to me that my ex's partner is mean and physically grabbed one of them 1 month ago. I reached out to CPS but since the latest incident happened in France they will not get involved.

My ex has ignored emails, phone calls and texts to address this situation. Can i legally stop paying child support as the parenting agreement says she has 72 hours to reply?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You cannot withhold support unless you get a court order to do so. You say the incident happened in France but don't say where the children live. If they live in NY, you can go to Family Court and ask for an order of protection on their behalf.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.