Spokane, WA asked in Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant, Probate and Real Estate Law for Idaho

Q: 3 siblings have inherited the family home. 2 of them want to sell the property and 1 of them does not and wants to rent

out the property. In fact he has rented it out to his stepson in spite of the objections of the other 2 siblings, one of which needs the finances. What can be done?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Idaho law provides you an opportunity to sue to "partition" or "buy out" an unwilling owner of their share. You need to tell the remaining, unwilling owner, that if you have to sue to make her sell her "interest," that you will be asking the Court to award your attorney fees. See if this very real possibility will awaken her better judgment.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.