Swartz Creek, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: Can a cop pull you over after following you into another city, then turn their lights on to pull you over?

A 2 Detroit cops followed me for 3 miles. 1 1/2 of those were in Detroit, the last 1 1/2 were in Redford. Where they then got out of the lane from behind my car, only to jerk their car back into the lane behind me again then turned their lights on and pulled me over in Redford.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This is situational dependent, but yes, police who witness a crime in one jurisdiction can follow and arrest you in an adjacent one. Commonly, police agencies will cooperate with each other to effectuate an arrest for instance in a car chase; once the fleeing car enters the next jurisdiction, that jurisdiction's police will often pick up the pursuit, and once stopped, will hold the suspects until police from the original jurisdiction arrive to take custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.