Indiana, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: my nephew got arrested for throwing rocks at a abandoned buding..and someone called the the owner of that build

wants to press charges, what rights does my 16 year old have at this point t

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The right to remain silent, the right to an attorney, if he cant afford one one will be provided. As he is a juvenile they are often routed to the public defender's office. He has the right to a trial where he can assert potential defenses (abandoned property and possibly others) and all of the ither rights available to someone charged in the criminal justice system. Many counties have diversion programs for youths charges with non violent crimes. Talk to a local attorney who can walk you through the process. Its very different from the adult system because of its emphasis on rehabilitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.