Meraux, LA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Mississippi

Q: How long does he have to file a notice of Appeal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Columbia, MD

A: First of all, I am not a Mississippi lawyer. That being said, your question has a simple and yet nuanced answer. You didn't describe "he" and you didn't describe what court--State or Federal. However, the simple answer is, usually, 30 calendar days from the final judgment. (That may be different depending on federal cases, such as administrative law cases, etc.) And that is where the nuanced part comes in--what is the final judgment? In a civil case, it usually is the final statement from the judge--whether it is judgment following a jury verdict entered by the court, or a judgment on a motion for summary judgment, or a final disposition of a timely filed post-judgment motion. In a criminal case, it's usually the date of sentencing. Take a look at your case, generally the final judgment would be clear enough.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.