Charlotte, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I was told my licences was suspended due to a failure to appear which was not my fault what should i do.

I was notified that my licences was suspended when i was pulled over for a light being out displaying my licence plate and tag i notified the officer what had happened and the mix up and was told that when i appear in court to let the judge know everything and it should be dismissed and to get my licences back i just want to know what i should be from a legal stand point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are responsible for handling your ticket. So unless you never received the ticket - the FTA is likely your fault. The court and DMV both understand that sometimes things happen and court dates get missed. The court gives you essentially a 20 day grace period to resolve the ticket without penalty. After the 20 days, the court adds a $200 FTA penalty on top of any other court cost / fine and notifies DMV to suspend you. DMV then sends you a letter and they give you an additional 30 days to resolve the ticket without further action. After the 30 days - they suspend you and you have to pay a reinstatement fee after you resolve the ticket. Because you were not responsible enough to handle your ticket properly, likey the best and easiest thing for you to do is to simply hire a local traffic attorney to handle this for you. If you attempt to handle it yourself, you will need to appear in court and ask someone in the clerk's office about adding your case on to that days court docket. You will then likely need to explain your situation to an ADA and if you provide proof the light has been fixed and you conduct yourself in a polite manner the ADA may consider dismissing the ticket. If so, this will save you a substantial amount of money but you will still need to go to DMV to have your license reinstated (assuming this is the only thing suspending you). Another alternative is that a ticket for a light being out should be something you can go to the clerk's office and pay off. It will be expensive to do that but may be more convenient that attempting to add the case on yourself. However, paying off a ticket without knowing what you are doing could possible suspend you further. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.