Tacoma, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho

Q: Too long. See below. Tenant, landlord, renting

Okay so I'm renting a room right now as part of a larger single unit home. One of my housemates has some really bad klepto tendencies and I've had to take a lot of my stuff back from him and out of his room after he stole them from my room. Am I allowed to change the lock on my door specifically to limit his access to my room? I've gone through my lease and it doesnt have any clauses related to this, aside from preventing the landlord from entering (I would of course give them a key to the room and explain the situation). Is there anything stating that I can do this or is it a more specific instance I would have to work out with my landlord

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: I recommend that you contact the LL. He has some liability if things from a "guest" are stolen by someone else who is his "guest," so I think he should be consulted, but you DO have the right to change your lock, as long as you let your LL know.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.