Orlando, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Roomate not on lease did not pay rent and now moved out and disappeared. What to do?

So my boyfriend has a best friend since middle school and we decided to pick him as a roommate, he paid rent on the first month then lost his job , my boyfriend didn't wanna kick him out because he felt bad, he decided to give time to have him find a job and pay us back , about 2 1/2 months later he decides to move to his family and promised to pay us back little by little , now he blocked us and went somewhere else, no written agreement, maybe through text, also have a picture of his ID and social security card he sent me, we also so happen to go all in at a new apartment (which he actually listed as a tenant ) until he decided to move out and called the new apartment place to remove his name after. Also our apartments ac broke for 2 weeks and we had to get some window ac unit which he agreed to help but never could. What can we possibly do ? His total rent for the 2 1/2 months was 1000$

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There is nothing you can do except continue trying to contact him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.