San Antonio, TX asked in Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: How do I stop abuse/harassment through the court system?

I have been stalked/harassed for over 8 years. I moved to Texas to get away from my stalker who resides in Missouri. For years he has subjected me to numerous depositions in which he used those to gather personal information from me. He has now filed another subpoena from out of state to further harass me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Consult a Missouri attorney about the possibility that you can have the person classified as a "vexatious litigant" ... I think that's what it's called in Texas anyway... There is probably some equivilant under Missouri law to describe a person who abuses the courts so perhaps you can get Missouri to do something about it.

As for Texas, one of the ways to commit Stalking is to commit Harassment on multiple occassions against the same person. Other ways to commit Stalking involve threats of physical injury or property crimes. If your situation fits the legal definition of Stalking then you can file for a protective order which, if granted, could make it a felony offense for the person to continue stalking you... or communicating with all except through attorneys.

If the two of you are parents of the same child then it might not be possible to eliminate all contact because the other parent has a legal interest in the child's upbringing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.