Murfreesboro, TN asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Kentucky

Q: Can my girlfriend move out and live with me at age 18 with 3 months of school left but will finish up at a different one

Her parents want to force her to stay till shes graduated collage but shes going into the reserves as soon as she graduates were in ky and her parents are trying to force her to keep living with them i need to know if she can move out at 18 and not have the cops called on us by them and her drag back to her house i read that you have to graduate highschool to leave home on your own free will but im getting varied results that you just have to be 18 in the state of ky but like i said her parents want to keep her home and continue to control her even when she graduates shes going on 17 right now but im asking for when shes a senoir next year her parents don't coddle her their not the lovy dovy type they are more i dont want her to get pregnant but at the same time thats more of an excuse to keep control over her shes rarely allowed any freedom outside of the house they won't even let her get her own phone and pay for it because they want control over it I rambled some but thats the jist

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: She can leave on her 18th birthday.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.