Tallahassee, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Do I have to leave? What do I do?

5 yrs ago I rented a house from a relative. He passed away a couple of yrs ago and just a month ago his wife passed. Their son had been collecting rent. I was told at the beginning of the month that I now have to be out by the 9/28 because they don’t own the property. Turns out they didn’t own the property when I moved in but collected my rent every month. He said someone named Mr West owns the property now but I found out that Mr West passed away in 2018. I’ve asked for documentation on the new owner to see if I could sign a new lease under them but he keeps saying he can’t get papers from the court. I have 3 kids and on disability. No place else to go especially during pandemic. He just told me I have to get out and that if I don’t the sheriff will come and make me get out. He wanted me to sign a notice to vacate. I said no. He said the Tax Collector said I have to get out. I have no place to go. Yes there are back taxes owed on the property that I’m not responsible for. I need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Before a sheriff's deputy throws you out you should be served with notice of an actual eviction lawsuit. And if there are back taxes unpaid, eventually someone may buy the property and evict you whether or not you are "responsible for" the taxes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.