Raleigh, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I recently got pulled over by an officer speed trapping, and on the form he gave me it says I was going 78mph in a 55mph

zone. I understand I have the options of either appearing in court, or hiring a lawyer, and I think that I need to hire a lawyer for this. Is there a chance that the lawyer could work something out so that I don't have to lose my license at all. I really can not afford to lose my license, as I have to not only take myself places but other people to. Can anyone tell me what type of consequence I will be facing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: From the Courts perspective, there is no such thing as a 'speed trap' - you were simply speeding and got caught. So if your license is that important to you - stop speeding. Yes, your best bet is to hire a traffic attorney and yes, they can likely handle this without you having to appear in court and without it suspending your license and maybe without it even affecting your insurance. As to what will happen. Depends on several factors such as your prior driving record and what you end up pleading to. If you are convicted as charged at 78/55, you will get suspended and your insurance will go up substantially. If the address on your ticket is correct you will likely get a crap ton of letters from traffic attorneys. You do not need F, Lee Bailey for a traffic ticket so just roll with the lowest quote. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.