Pasadena, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My daughter turned 18 last year but graduated HighSchool in June. The IWO hasn't been adjusted though.

I was under the impression from correspondence that this would be automatic. When I contacted OCS I was sent a mod document which is more than I thought was necessary. Every time I try to call their 800 number for AA county it's busy. Not sure what I should do, filling out a full financial packet doesn't seem like what I was looking for.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It is not automatic. The court/ child support enforcement is not watching to see when a child turns 18 or graduates high school. You must file with the Court to terminate (modify) the support. It is only retroactive to the date of filing -- not the date of the child graduating high school so do not wait any longer to file.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.