Midland, TX asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: My spouse dumped me right after receiving their green card. What legal options do I have?

About a year ago, I started to become suspicious that I was being used for a green card. I thought my suspicions were ridiculous, and so I ignored them. Then, a day after receiving the green card, my spouse dumped me. What should I do?

Edit: My spouse just received the green card with the conditions removed.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Divorce your spouse and call immigration.

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If your spouse has a 2-year conditional residence card, which is likely, then they will need to apply to have those conditions removed. At that point they will need to show that they entered into marriage in good faith. The fact that they dumped you right after getting the green card will make that tough, especially since they will not be able to show joint accounts, filing taxes together, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.