Anderson, IN asked in Social Security for Indiana

Q: Will returning to my maiden name affect my death benefits?

I've been widowed since 2009 and receive death benefits. I've never remarried and would now like to return to my maiden name. Will legally going back to my maiden name change my death benefits?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: No, changing your name to your maiden name will not affect Social Security survivor benefits you are receiving since you are not changing your marital status. Once you have your name legally changed, you need to inform Social Security and show them the court order of the name change. To report a name change, fill out an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). Social Security will ask for identifying documents of your prior name. Social Security will then change your records to your current legal name. For more information, see

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.